Monday, August 8, 2011

Top 12 Things I Want My Son to Know - #9

This is day 4 of a 12 part series (I hope!) to highlight the main things I want my son-to-be to know. Some will be silly, some will be serious. I just want to write it down for me and for him- and for your entertainment, of course.

#12, #11, #10
#9 Don't Take Yourself Seriously
Life is funny; treat it that way. Make fun of yourself! Make your own flaws funny. No one is perfect, and many people will tell you what is wrong with you throughout your life. Take it with a grain of salt. Most people cut down others so that they feel good about themselves. If they can pick out something wrong with someone else, they feel better about not being perfect themselves.
When someone tells you about a flaw of yours, don't be sensitive. If you're sensitive, then people have to tip-toe around you and watch what they say. You want people to be comfortable when you're around. Being a boy, you're going to get a lot of hassling from other boys. I've learned this from your dad. He and his friends in the military would pick on each other. It makes you tougher. You don't want to be the kid that can't handle the truth. Watch how your dad and his friends interact with each other. They cut each other down and then laugh about it. I even laugh because it's funny. However, most guys are not used to a girl cracking jokes, so when I chime in, it takes a second before the laughter starts.
Just because I'm telling you that other people will tell you of your flaws and you have to take it, does not mean that you have the freedom to go attack everyone. There is a time and place for the bantering. Be sensitive to others' feelings. Some people may not be able to joke. Hopefully you can rub off on them and they will loosen up over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover