Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Taking the Home Out of the House

Now that the majority of things are in storage, the house doesn’t feel like home anymore. It feels like we just moved in, with the exception of an awesome yard!

Today, I’m sharing what the house currently looks like with things off the wall, no décor and empty closets.

The living room still felt full because of the massive couch.



The rug is clean and rolled up. The pictures are off the wall and the “tower” as I call it, is in storage. 

Over this past weekend, Mr. JCrew's brother-in-law lent us his truck and we moved the big items. The couch, rug, ottoman are now of out the room.



The air mattress made its way into the living room now.



The dining room still has the table, but the rug is clean and rolled up as well. It has become my drop station since the foyer table is gone.



The kitchen has some empty cabinets. It’s been the last thing I was packing because of what we still use. We are making sure to eat everything in our large pantry, since we will have a smaller one. The dishes will be packed up soon and we’ll eat off paper plates. I’ve got the bubble wrap ready, just need to get more boxes.

The boys’ bedrooms are the most dramatic. Little JCrew’s room has mattresses only. I joke that the two little guys are sleeping on a king size mattress. They love it.



Mr. Brigglesworth’s room did just have his dresser and chest of drawers.



The dresser went to storage, while the chest comes with us. We'll use it for the boys' clothes. Now this room is my packing room. And thanks to Julie, I have a million boxes calling my name!



The new owner likes the pallet wall. He did ask questions about it as to why I did it. Kind of funny when I told him because I wanted to! Ha. But he said he liked it.

The master bedroom is empty. This room remained unchanged for a while, until we got the truck. I then took the clothes out of drawers and they are in makeshift drawers/bins until we move into Mom's house.



We did have the air mattress on the floor, but as you saw, it got moved to the living room.



The bonus room is also just as dramatic as the boys’ rooms.



It is completely empty. It was the room I wanted to empty first, but Little JCrew’s room won that contest. I sold most things in the room. The train table is currently at Mom’s house and the desk is in storage. I sold the couch, loveseat and bookcases (2 different sets). There was one bookcase Mom told me to hold on to because it was a good size to put in a closet someday. Great thinking, Mom!



And that’s it! The porch furniture is off the porch and spread out with my mom’s neighbors.They all openly welcomed rental furniture to use on their porch for the next year. It looks great! 


 The boys' big playhouse is over at Mom's along with other outdoor toys. Her tiny yard is filling up!


I’m kind of enjoying the emptiness of the house. It is weird but also calming. You don’t need a lot of things. Yes, décor makes a house feel inviting, but what makes it a home, is who you share it with. I’m making so many memories playing on the floor and finding unconventional toys to play with, that it really makes me evaluate all the “Stuff” we have. 

4 comments:

  1. Yay, your pallet wall stays! I know that makes you happy. And I agree about not needing a bunch of stuff...we're definitely trying to move in that direction, slowly but surely! Wow, you sure have been busy. Please let us know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I didn't have to take the pallet wall down! We wore ourselves out and it took the entire weekend to recover! Glad it is over with.

      Delete
  2. lovely post
    empty house
    lots of memories there
    excited about your new memories both in your moms house and in your new one one day. don't forget bible verse and prayer day. excited for you new adventure. let us know how we can help. miss you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! When we get some dates marked in the sand of when we might start, I DEFINITELY want the prayer and verses day. All of the timing so far has been God's timing. It's an awesome and scary adventure! miss you, my friend!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover