Sunday, February 15, 2015

ICF Framing - Days 5 & 6

To build the first floor walls with ICF, it took seven courses of blocks with a half-size block as the seventh course.

Nudura


Day 5 of ICF framing involved laying that seventh course.

Nudura


The guys also went around and put all these boards up around the windows and doors.

Nudura


And if there were cracks between the blocks larger than desired, they used a special foam to seal them.

Nudura


The house sure did look funny with all the boards up, but this was to ensure that there was no shift once the concrete was poured into the walls.

Nudura


On Thursday, the concrete pump arrived at 11AM and they got started around 11:30. We had to wait to start for the temperature to get above freezing. One main reason was because the concrete can splatter as you're pouring it into the wall cavity. When it splatters and hits the foundation, it would instantly freeze if the day were that cold. That would be a bigger mess than cleaning up wet concrete, so we waited for the rise in temperature to start.

Nudura


They had the pump operator inside the house, a man directing the pump into the walls, two men following with a "machine" and a man walking ahead making sure things were perfect as the concrete approached.

Nudura


The "Machine" that the two men had I still don't know what it is. But it was a long wand they would stick down into the wall and it sounded like a vibrator of some sorts. This wand would make sure there were no air bubbles in the wall. So, for the second time they'd come around, they would see where they needed to add more concrete.

Nudura


The wand was also used for the windows. The concrete would be poured on either side of the window, while the wand went down in the hole they prepared at the bottom of the window.

Nudura


It took them about 4 hours to pour the concrete and be done. At the end of the day, they put boards on the top of the concrete walls.

Nudura

Nudura


They also poured concrete into the blocks and added rebar (for the garage and porches).



On Friday, there wasn't anything done on this beautiful day. Because of the cold temperatures, they were ensuring the concrete was curing before removing the braces.

Nudura


The concrete had no problems with the cold. The foam with the boards on top helped protect against the drop in temperature this week.

Nudura


I really didn't expect to see any work done on Saturday, but we had two guys out there removing the boards and braces.

Nudura


The particle board was removed from around the window and door joints.

Nudura


They also put a layer of some material on the tops of the walls and used the 2"x12" boards they were using as scaffolding, to nail to the tops of the walls.

Nudura


They are preparing to frame for the second floor next week.

Nudura


The boys have fun visiting. We take them by all the time, but we don't always let them inside. Especially if there are workers.



Now that the interior is cleared out from the extra material we can see them from all angles.



There may have been one time when Little JCrew was "hiding" and scared us to death! (Wish I was kidding).


I'm sure our new neighbors will be happy that this part is done.

Nudura


Enough with the concrete trucks! They'll just see them one more time when we pour the driveway and walkway.

Nudura


Next week, snow is predicted in the forecast. I'm not sure if it will really happen. The weather guys like to tease and it either doesn't happen or it doesn't stick to the ground. But the roads could be nasty with black ice. We'll see if stick framing starts this week or not. I'm happy with the progress so far, that I am happy with whatever! It has been a smooth process.

Oh, I ordered the exterior doors last Friday (6th) and ordered the windows this past Friday (13th). The windows made me second guess myself with the color I chose. The pink house I've mentioned before has the same windows I picked out and I didn't like them on that house.



I went to the supply store and took my trim paint colors and held them up to the sample of the window color. It doesn't "match" but I think it goes. The house that has our selected brick used this color window and it looks fine. So I keep reminding myself that it will look great!



I'm usually very decisive, so this was bugging me. I couldn't order the windows right away. Pretty soon I'll have to order the brick. At least I know I am still in love with our brick selection. It took us long enough to decide on one.

I do love looking back at what the land looked like before we started and how far we have come!





2 comments:

  1. thank you for your kind words on the blog about the valentines. I have tried to figure out how to set up to reply to comments but I have yet to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover