Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Red Berry Hollies

Moving to Alabama, I had never seen red clay. I thought it was beautiful. It was strange to see the ground being dug and red stuff coming up. My mother-in-law told me how nutritious the red clay was for plants. Clay would definitely be different from my Florida sand I grew up in.

Growing up, I loved working in the yard. My mom made me my own flowerbed that I was responsible for. I picked out the plants and took care of them. I was so proud of the yard. Even at a young age, I knew the importance of curb-appeal. Our bushes stayed trim and our grass mowed. I was going to make sure that our house looked cared for.
At my condo I had no yard to care for, but the grounds were beautiful. I loved my view. At our new Alabama home, I was excited for the massive blank canvas I had to work with.

The builder puts in plants that add something to the yard because they are contractually bound to. The plants aren’t the prettiest, but they last through abuse!

I didn’t care for the plants in my little flowerbed. I didn’t even know what they were. By February, I stopped by a local nursery, CatBird Seat, and purchased an abundance of hollies. I chose hollies because they don’t lose their leaves in the winter. I had no idea how many varieties of Holly there are. There are the really prickly kind and then there are varieties with little to no “needles” on the leaves.
Carissa Holly
I bought five dwarf Buford hollies to go right next to the house. These bushes will need to be trimmed regularly.
I bought five Carissa Hollies. These are a favorite of mine. I see them in the Target parking lot here and they can get big. I plan to let mine get wider, but keep them low. It’s almost been two years and they’ve doubled in size.
Carissa Holly
I also bought Helleri Holly. This variety was another new one to me that was cute and had no pricklies. These stay small and low, but can get bigger. They add a nice texture to the bed.

Changing out the plants in the front yard made a difference. Now we didn’t match the other houses with all the same plants. It looked like we cared about our house.

I promise the bed looks a thousand times better now. You'll see.
Pulling out the builder’s plants, I did not take my time, nor was I gentle. I yanked those plants out. I would be okay if they died.
I transplanted the plants to the back yard. The round globe arborvitae plants were relocated under the kitchen window.

The other plants made their home in a new flowerbed in between our bedroom windows.

I promise I did not take care of these plants and they are still living! I moved the red and green bushes again later in the year when we added the porch extension and they’re still going strong! I still don’t know what the green bushes are, but they’re hardy!
All this digging and I began my hatred for clay soil. Clay gets cold and hard in the winter months. I wasn’t supposed to be digging I February, but I did and I didn’t like it. 

September 2012

In This Post:
Dwarf Buford Holly (produces red berries)
Carissa Holly (no red berries)
Helleri Holly (no berries or needles)
Globe Arborvitae
Questionable Plant that gets flowering berries (maybe a type of Laurel)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover