Friday, February 28, 2014

Door Threshold Fix

I’ve had a lot of little projects going on, and I finally have time to write about them.

First up, a little update to the threshold of the door that leads to the garage.



The way our house came, there was nothing under the threshold in the garage. I didn’t know there needed to be, but if you put your foot in just the right spot, it would sink a little. I wanted to find a pretty solution so that it wouldn’t become a problem in the future.

My sister-in-law had beautiful brick under her threshold in her garage. I have it under the threshold leading out to the back porch.



I took some extra brick I had from lining my flowerbeds and stuck them under the threshold.



It has sat like this for 3 years. The threshold is slanted, so the brick only fit in the middle and to the right, but not the left side. I knew I needed to cut them, but didn’t want to mess with cutting brick.

I then thought if I was going to cut brick, I might as well cut them in half to create the look of the brick outside.

It wasn’t until last month, that I decided to buy a piece of pressure-treated wood that I could cut and paint.



It’s just what I did. I painted it white to match the trim around the door.



Now it looks polished and complete. It has function and looks pretty.



Little JCrew helped of course. Wearing a bike helmet protected him from losing his balance.




The wood was $3 for an 8-foot piece. I had the saw and the paint, so this was an easy and cheap project.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you were able to fix the threshold of your garage door. I would feel alarmed if I felt the floor sinking even a little. I like the idea of using brick because it is strong and looks great with most interior, but using pressure-treated wood on the threshold is also a great idea. I hope your new threshold on your garage door is holding up well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover