Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Windows Are In

That final stretch was long. It wasn't until yesterday that everything was in place as far as framing goes. Those little odds and ends added up.



The guys spent Wednesday getting the attic perfect. The temporary support was taken down as it would be used to build the porch.



And the porch was built and awesome!



It now gives the house a farmhouse feel.


The foyer cased opening is framed to be ten inches wide.


It was little things like that. Oh, and the wall where the antique window will go was finally framed!


And the walls where plumbing pipes stuck out, those walls were furred out.



And you can't just furr out part of it; the whole wall had to be.



On Thursday, the windows were delivered.



And they were installed.



You can tell the difference in sill depth for ICF vs wood framing.




The house started looking so different with windows.



I loved it.  We did have three things we have to fix regarding windows. One came with a broken top sash. I was notified upon delivery and they are replacing it. Then we had one set of windows come without the vertical grille on the bottom sashes. New sashes are on their way.


Doors were delivered too, but they are loaners. The framer says this is a good thing because the doors will get dinged up when doing brick and such. They will be installed and the frames will remain. When the door slabs come in, they'll be replaced.



On Friday, I had a hard decision to make. It was how I wanted my roof lines finished. The framer gave me three options. An angled birdbox, a flat birdbox or a hip birdbox. I liked them all for different reasons and the drawings didn't show that detail. I immediately said I liked the hip birdbox. I can use metal or shingles for them. Then I second-guessed myself. Until I saw the crew did two for me to judge. I liked them.


Wrapping was installed everywhere on Saturday. The crew tried to on Friday, but the wind was so bad, the guys were struggling. The inside of the house was priority on Saturday, because the plumber came on Monday! Tubs were delivered and installed and it's awesome!



The roofer was also scheduled to come yesterday, but our shingles are back ordered. We've had some storms come in and rip off the felt paper, so we need to fix that. But I'm hoping the shingles come soon!



This is now when the craziness picks up. I have so many contractors lined up ready to do their part. And walking through the house is awesome. The boys love to come visit.



They dare each other to go upstairs when they know Mom says, "No."



And Little JCrew already knows where everything is. We had strangers walk in when we were there and he was not bashful. He told them where everything was and asked them to follow him upstairs. They politely declined. He is just like his Poppa!


I'll leave off with a happy note. We spent Sunday and Monday getting all the water out of the house. It looked awesome all week. We finally could go in all the rooms with out rainboots on.



But the rain on Sunday brought in the water because of the missing felt and two missing windows. Our plumber was so kind to sweep it all out yesterday. I can't wait for no more worrying about the rain.

UPDATE 4-26-2015:
We bought Plygem brand windows. They are vinyl and clay in color. I went for price when selecting them. I almost selected a Southern Rose window that really impressed me, but the price was higher. I wasn't impressed with the Anderson brand. For what they cost, they felt like a Plygem. I wasn't willing to pay for Anderson. But now that we have had the windows installed and have had time to mess around with them, I am already regretting my decision to go with Plygem. One set of windows came with the bottom sashes missing the vertical grille I wanted. Then the replacement sashes sent, we're poor quality. Another window sash had the vertical crooked! I have yet to receive the replacement sash for it. Another grille is slightly crooked and it is starting to get on my nerves. And another window, I just discovered, has the spring busted on one side! It feels like these windows were pushed out and no one checked them. It's something as simple as quality control. I know my work wouldn't take this lack of quality. Our products are judged upon delivery, and we don't get paid until we pass quality control. The experience is already putting a sour taste in my mouth about the brand.

2 comments:

  1. um i love it and it totally has a farm house feeling. my favorite kind of house. you have a room for me to move into right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have taught the boys where "Jen's Room" is. Come over; they'll show you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover