Monday, June 25, 2012

Little JCrew #2's Nursery

Before I knew the gender of Little JCrew #2, I already had a vision for the nursery. I envisioned a gray crib with turquoise and orange accents. I thought it was gender neutral and if the baby was a girl, the orange would act as my pink.





I was really weighing the option of refinishing the crib. If I could find the right bedding, I could possibly not have to finish the crib.

My vision then started changing to just a gray and white theme. The green room has a lot of bright colors already in it, and I didn’t want the colors to compete.

I forget what I googled, but I came across this fabulous site. http://www.babybedding.com/. (Carousel Designs.) I at first was only looking at their fabric selection, thinking I would make a crib sheet. I found so many fabric options I liked.



My fabric swatches show that I changed my color pallet yet again! Green somehow snuck itself in there instead of turquoise.

Later, I googled crib sheets and the search pulled up the same site (but I didn’t realize it.) I was recognizing the fabric selection and thought it odd that I found a site that was using the fabrics I was just looking at. Doh! I soon realized I had been lead back to the site I was just on and they have crib sheets, preventing me from having to make my own!



I fell in love with quite a few, but the price tag was steep.

While browsing the website, I found the coolest feature EVER! An interactive designer! I could pick whether I wanted a bumper, what fabric I wanted to use, how long of a crib skirt I wanted, etc. And not only could I change the fabric choices, but I could pick the flooring (Wood/carpet) the wall color and the crib color!! I was able to recreate my room! You can even remove the crib side to see the fabric better, or keep it up so that you can get a good visualization.


I played with different color combinations.


Then I played with the look of a navy crib!



I even kept the natural color crib look.


But I kept going back to the gray look, so I played with the picture and made a new one with a gray crib. (There wasn’t a gray crib option. Which I think they should add!)

Once I turned the crib gray in the picture, my mind was pretty made up. Just needed confirmation from the Hubs.

I created a picture with the room that had a swatch of the quilt on the bed that would be next to the crib. It was my goal to keep the room "as is." The wall color would not change and the bedding and furniture would stay. I made my rendition have the correct wall color and mimicked the color of the pallet wall. I wanted to make sure everything was cohesive.


Once I picked the bedding design, I was close to ordering the fabric to make the bed skirt, when my mom suggested using ribbon detail instead. We already had a queen-size bedskirt Mom would cut to crib size. She found different widths of ribbon to put together in gray and white, with an accent ribbon of pink or turquoise.



We were just waiting to see what the gender was so we would know which detail would be used. (We liked the pink ruffle!!)

I wasn’t sold on the turquoise ribbon we found, so I set out to find more. I found a lot of good options.



Then I found the ruffle ribbon in turquoise!!


We then played around with the different combinations.

Because the ribbon detail would be hidden when the mattress was raised, we made two different ribbon details on the same skirt. One would be seen while the other was hidden for each mattress level.

The complete bedskirt
Bedskirt with mattress in high position

Bedskirt with mattress lowered

When it came to sheets, I kept it simple with the gray and white. One sheet is predominantly gray and the other is more white. That way I have a different look with each.


I am very happy with the end result. It is not the perfect designer room you dream of, but I work with what I've got. That's my whole purpose.

Hopefully, Baby B will love his bed. I find every excuse to walk by!


4 comments:

  1. That looks great! It's funny...I started out just thinking I wanted funky colors, but I have QUICKLY landed on a majority of turquoise and orange, and I love the chevron/zig zag pattern! Thanks for sharing your whole process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Blakeley! I still love orange and turquoise!

      Delete
  2. I think it turned out SO cute! It is so hard to design a nursery...too many choices. With Kailyn's I set out to have the bedding custom made, thinking that would be easier...think again! Going to the fabric store was so overwhelming, but we finally made it all work. I loved the pink ruffle ribbon too, Kailyn has lots of it in her room :) Now all you need is that little baby snuggled up in his cute bed!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Magen! I have so much fun with design! The options are always overwhelming. Plus, it seems I can never find what I'm envisioning. I just keep searching!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover