Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Table Scratch


Okay, I know I’ve been behind on getting you posts on projects I’ve done, but with this one I’m reaching back to September!! Well, September was when the damage was done, and then I fixed it sometime in October.

The table in the kitchen was a table I refinished from my childhood. I painted the legs a black color and then a pretty blue color and stained the top to match the stools.



This table is where I keep my Maidenhair fern.




Somehow, I think the pot the fern is in made a scratch on the table. That’s the only explanation I can think of. It happened on two different occasions and the scratches got worse the second time.

First Incident 9-26-12

Second Set of Scratches

Close up of Second Set


I was so disappointed. The first set of scratches I could live with. Now I was having to contemplate refinishing the table top. At least it was only the tabletop.


I picked a pretty stain with a top coat already in it. One simple step for a time-constrained momma.

I borrowed my parents' electric palm sander and got the old top coat off.





I am no expert in staining. It really is something you have to practice. I loved the color so much that I was thinking of refinishing my dining room table top. It’s a little orange-y for my taste.



But I wanted to see how good I did on the smaller table first. I followed all the instructions, but it’s not perfect. It gets the job done, but I don’t think I will be touching my dining room table any time soon. The scratches were are to sand and cover up. You can still see them, but it’s nothing like if I hadn’t touched them. The table top is VERY shiny now. I had to get use to it, but I like it. I really like the stain and found two more projects to use it for. Practice makes perfect, and I’m getting better at staining each time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover