Friday, February 1, 2013

Eagleston Holly

In my quest for trees for the yard, I was looking for ones that would not get over 25 feet tall and a variety of ones that provided privacy and/or flowers.

I just loved working with the nursery up the road. I'd tell him what unique tree I was looking for, and he'd find it for me.

One of those being an Eagleston Holly. It is not very common. There were a lot of East Palatka hollies in Florida that I was familiar with, but not this.



I got two to put near the porch in the back yard. I tried to create a barrier from having close neighbors, and have the feeling of privacy when we are playing in the back yard.



The trees felt huge when I got them (compared to all my tiny trees I already had.)



I got them in November 2009, so they didn't have much time to adjust before Winter hit. And they took it pretty hard. They lost a lot of leaves.

April 2010

Year One was recuperating from the Winter.

May 2010


Year Two, the hollies got a little fuller.

April 2011

April 2011


Year Three is when I really noticed a difference. The trees just took off!

July 2012

I was so impressed. This is one tree that always gets asked about. Every time someone is in the back yard, they ask what the tree is.

August 2012
September 2013
The tree is creating great privacy now. And it will only get better from here.

I love the fact that it is Evergreen. It never looses its leaves, so the privacy stays year-round.

UPDATE: I was asked for a follow up on the Eagleston Hollies and have provided it here.

9 comments:

  1. how far do you plant it from the fence?
    how far apart between the two trees?
    how tall when you got them in November 2009?
    how tall are they in the picture of September 2013?
    do you think I can place these Holly Eagleston by the pool? are the leaves sharp to children bare feet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddie, thanks for your questions. The distance from the trunk to fence is seven feet. I took the average mature width of 14 feet to determine how far away from the fence I should place it. The average mature height of the tree is 20 feet. When I purchased the trees, they were about ten feet tall. But I trimmed them down after the harsh winter to allow them to have less to concentrate on as they recovered. The height in the September 2013 picture is right around 15 feet tall. They have done so well and I really like them. You can place them by the pool just fine. Like most hollies, they can shed their leaves, but it is not a lot. They shed a couple preparing for the new growth. Each leaf has one thorn on the very tip. Otherwise, it is just like walking on a normal leaf, if there is one on the ground.

      Thanks for the questions. Hope I was able to help you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your reply. Your information are very helpful. I love the greenery look and our yard is bare right now. No trees at all. We will plant 25 of these around the yard and hopefully will get the same results as yours.

      Also, how big is the canopy for the tree in the September 2013 picture?
      how far do you plant them apart?

      Thank you so much for your help!

      Delete
    3. I planted them 9 feet apart. Since they get to be 14 feet wide, I wanted a little overlap to create the privacy I was desiring.

      Right now, my trees are 9 feet wide and 15 feet tall. Hope this all helps!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lindsey,

    We are also planning to buy some Eaglestons, can you post some more pictures at this time and see how they have grown so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure can! I actually pruned them back quite a bit before Spring so that they could focus on filling up rather than growing taller. I will create a post with a yard update in a few days. Thanks for the question!

      Delete
  3. Lindsay, My landscaper planted 20 Eagleston hollies in my back yard. My question is: Have you had much problem with flocks of birds descending on your hollies and causing a mess on your roof, patio, and driveway. I'm so worried about this potential that I wonder if I made a huge mistake planting all these Eaglestons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have not had flocks of birds attracted to just the Hollies. I have a birdfeeder less than five feet away from the hollies. The birds use the hollies to take "breaks" from the feeder, but there are other trees in my yard that they do the same thing, not just the Hollies. Besides wanting to give my kids something to climb, I planted trees for the wildlife as well. None of my trees are planted touching my house or near a driveway. Our patio is near the hollies and another tree, and we don't have an issue with bird dropping on it. In fact, I don't recall ever having to clean the patio off because of bird poop. I've done it before because of frog poop! We have sold this house and are building a new house. I already have it planned to add Eagleston Holly to the perimeter of my yard. They are great for privacy!

      Thanks for the questions!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover