Monday, May 20, 2013

Going Green

I think we have finally gotten into a rhythm in the Jenson house. Having two boys thirteen months apart definitely makes you more efficient. I thought I was efficient with my time before, but I’m amazed at it now.

Mr. JCrew will tell ya that I get distracted; and I agree with him. I am a morning person. I turn into a pumpkin at 730PM. I don’t feel like doing chores when all I want to do is jump in bed. As I get ready in the mornings, I see things that need to be done and I do them. If I walk into the laundry room to get the boys’ backpacks and see a load of laundry that needs to be put away, I started folding and putting the clothes away. So, yes, I take longer to get ready in the morning.

Part of our new routine as a family of four includes eating healthier. Thanksgiving of last year I got the crud really bad. It lasted four weeks and then I passed it on to my family. After that, we turned to juicing.

For a while we tried many different recipes. Trying to find one that Little JCrew would like, too. He was big on the smoothies, but then there was a smoothie that smelled bad and tasted fine, but I think that drink scarred him. He won’t drink out of his straw cups anymore out of fear that the bad smelling smoothie is in there.

We landed on a green smoothie that is awesome. We have it every morning. It’s the easiest way to get our vitamins, vegetables and fruits in us. Mr. JCrew likes them a lot.

Each week we buy our produce to last us the week. It can add up. The last time we went to Costco, we bought the HUGE bag of spinach. I knew that we would not touch all of that in a week, but I could freeze it!

IMG_0080
I took out the blender and put a little water in with the spinach and poured the spinach slosh into ice cube trays.

IMG_0082w

I froze the spinach and popped them out into a freezer-grade Ziploc bag to store.

IMG_0083w

Now, when we make the smoothies, we just pop a couple cubes of spinach instead of the handful.

IMG_0198w

Another thing we’ve made a habit of in the kitchen, is making our own bread. We tried one recipe before stumbling on our favorite. It makes two loaves that last us the week. It’s really not that time-intensive to bake on Sunday afternoon, and it costs a fraction of the cost of buying it; plus no plastic is involved!

IMG_9834w

I’ll make a post about just the bread soon. It’s awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover