Monday, October 14, 2013

Honey Oatmeal Bread Recipe

I shared with you that we make our own bread once a week. This recipe makes two loaves. We eat it in the morning with our green smoothies. I am hoping that this recipe is something my boys remember when they are older. (There is nothing like homemade bread!)

IMG_9164w (400 x 600)

Honey Oatmeal Bread
2 c boiling water
1c rolled oats
1/2c honey
2T butter
2t salt
1 (0.25oz) package active dry yeast
1/2c warm water
4c bread flour
(you can spread honey and sprinkle with oats before putting in over, but I don’t.)

* Bring water to a boil. While it’s getting there, put oats, honey, salt, and butter into a big bowl.
* Once water is boiling, pour water over oat mixture and let sit for an hour.

IMG_9832w (400 x 600)

* In a small bowl (I use the 1 cup measure), put the warm water and yeast together. Let sit for 10 minutes.
* Once yeast mixture is creamy, pour into the oat mixture.
* Add 2c of flour to the mix. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2c at a time.
* Place dough on a well-floured surface and knead.

IMG_9834w

* Place dough back into an oiled bowl and let rise. (I wait an hour.)
* Cut dough in half and place in buttered pans.
* Let dough rise (another hour.)

IMG_9581w (400 x 600)
* Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Trying to save in all ways I can, I buy the honey and yeast in bulk. I have a 4 ounce jar of yeast that I use. I just measure out 2 1/4tsp.

This bread takes grilled cheese sandwiches to a whole new level!

IMG_0692w (400 x 600)

I will say, making bread is difficult. It's all about the timing. When I have messed up, it's because I let the yeast sit too long, or let the dough sit too long while it rising. I have to make sure when I am making this recipe that I don't get distracted while waiting.

There is absolutely nothing like homemade bread. I really hope my kids remember my bread, like my dad remembers my grandma’s pound cake. I will make it for them as long as they want. When they are 40 with their own families, I will make them their bread on their visits.

Starting one memory at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover