Monday, August 27, 2012

Keep 'Em Separated

There is a lot of yard work going on over here. So much so that I had to make a schedule!! (my favorite) I love being busy enough to make a schedule.

Part of the reason why it’s busy is because of the rose drama. There are 27 rose bushes to be pulled up! And I’ll possibly be adding 6 more to that total. That’s more than I can handle in one day, maybe even one weekend. So, I divided up the task into five days worth. However, I was trying to put it off just a week or two more so I can enjoy the rose blooms left, but we woke up Saturday on a mission. Here is what is left.


We got 23 of them out of the ground in one morning! We just have to haul them off.

Here are the remaining four.

 
I ended up getting three myself and left the last one for Mr. JCrew to enjoy removing.



In the meantime, I have plants that need separating. We have giant Mondo grass that has multiplied and Irises that Mr. JCrew’s Nana gave me that have also multiplied.


Iris
Irises usually need to be separated every 3-4 years. I’ve only had these planted a little over one year, but I’m anxious to spread them out throughout the yard. Late Summer is the perfect time to divide.

Unearthed Irises

Letting the roots dry a bit from their bath
I used my small hand fork to take all the irises out of the ground and rinse them with a ten-percent bleach/water combo. Then I cut them apart and cut the leaves down.


Then I was ready to replant them in their new locations. The mother plants bloom once, and they are done, but I can still spread them out to make more babies. I can’t recall which plants had the yellow flower versus the blue flower, so they’ll be mixed throughout the yard.




 

I kept some Irises in the original location and planted the others in spots near my pots in the yard.


Now, for the mondo grass, I had two new spots I wanted to take them. One was underneath a crepe myrtle tree.


 After separating the border grass, I placed them underneath the tree.


Then the daunting task of planting the little blades of grass! Being in my cheap-mode of thinking, I'm glad I was able to thin out the border grass and use it somewhere else without paying for new plants.


 You can't even tell that I removed grass from the original clump!


The other spot was where I had planted Vinca last year; in-between the Aroborvitae.


Both new locations would be perfect to let the mondo grass keep multiplying. It’s done so well in its current spot, that taking some away will not hurt it at all.

Phase 1 of the yard overhaul is complete and so glad it is. It was the step I was not looking forward to. Who wants to dig up plants to just put them in a new spot? And who wants to dig up 27 thorny rose bushes that have gotten so big, it's hard to avoid a thorn in the thigh? Thanks to my AWESOME hubby, the job is done. There should be no more reasons to have to dig up plants in our future. I just want to watch things grow.

Now I can get the top of the hill ready for it's new inhabitants... once I figure out what they will be!

Anyone else gearing up for Fall yardwork? I started early because of Baby B coming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover