Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Attitude Changer: Quote #12



In these related posts, I am sharing quotes from a wonderful book called, “Lead the Field’ by Earl Nightingale.

In summary, the book talks about your attitude. It determines your actions, as well as the actions of others. Mr. Nightingale takes our lame excuses for NOT being successful and refutes them all.

Today’s Quote: “Opportunity is all around us.”

This tags onto the quote I already shared about the definition of luck (Quote #3.) I really liked both quotes. Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity; and opportunity is all around us. Are you prepared? Are you qualified?

I received a lot of advice as a new graduate entering into the corporate world. I had a lot of mentors. Some advice I received too late after I had already accepted the job (ie. Negotiating) but all the info about 401k and setting up a career plan was helpful. I had one mentor advise me to show initiative to my functional boss by putting together a career plan. I took it one step further with showing my ongoing training and how it paired with my career goals. I had high aspirations that I wasn’t afraid to share. I’ve since shared this info with other aspiring newbies that are having to report to the same functional boss I did.

Back to the negotiating of salaries. Money is a scary subject. People know what they’d like to be making, but may not feel worth it. (and some people think they are worth more than they truly are.) The amount of money we receive will always be a direct ratio to the demand for what we do, our ability to do it, and the difficulty of replacing us.  

I think that explanation really helped Mr. JCrew decide what he wanted to do with his career. He’s had a lot of "ideas" while in school. All college kids wonder what they want to do when they get out of college. It's hard to make a decision that affects the rest of your life so soon in your young life. I didn't pick my major until I was a junior in college. My AA was in general studies. And most degrees have nothing to do with what your job. It's just a piece of paper employers want to see that shows you can handle responsibility and stick with something.

Mr. JCrew’s job is so specialized and is not taught in school. He wasn’t sure for a while whether it was something he wanted to keep doing. He even thought of putting school on hold and becoming a mortgage broker! (I cried at the thought.) But that’s where this book helped him. He’s realized not many do his job and he would be hard to replace. An engineering degree is the best degree to support his current job. He has eight years experience that he’s not willing to throw away to start all over as a recent college grad in a new industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover