Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Faux Plants


I love my plants, but they are work. I won’t turn away a plant, but I do have to remind myself to fight the urge to get a new one because it requires time.



To balance out my desire for all plants, I am mixed in some faux plants. I find nothing wrong with it. I look for realistic varieties and am not afraid to use them outside.

At our last house, I had poinsettias I put outside. They were so realistic looking. I got them at Old Time Pottery and haven’t seen them since, but I know I probably had people wondering how I kept them alive outside in the cold!



I have seen some fake plants used outside that fade or turn bright green and have this ugly unrealistic color. I steer clear of making that mistake.


Back when I had Mr. Pfitzer, my plants in the window box were neglected. They had to be watered every day. I was up for the task!



But I eventually gave up and bought faux plants. I made sure they were real looking.



Now I am keeping my eye out for them fading. Once they start, they will be replaced.


I mentioned that I tried to keep a maidenhair fern at my office desk, but it struggled until I brought him home. I then bought a faux plant from Pottery Barn and it is happy. I can tell it is not real, but I keep it half hidden from view, so hopefully no one stares too long and can tell. There is a lot of detail that makes it look real.



I also bought a faux maidenhair fern for the screened in porch.



I like a plant out there on the table, but the winters are harsh.



I also bought faux herbs to keep in tiny pots. I tried real herbs in those pots, but the holder requires small pots, and it being kept on the porch, they get no sun.

I also repurposed some liquor bottles for stems of faux plants. I used stems of lavender, peony and lambs ear. All looked realistic to me.





I have them sprinkled in multiple places to tie the spaces together.



I still have my real plants inside the house, but mixing in the faux ones has been a help in maintenance.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...