Saturday, March 30, 2019

Living Room Layout


On my Instagram feed, I highlighted that we sold our sectional and were picking out new furniture around Labor Day.



We had our sectional since we moved into our first house. I made sure our current living room was big enough to handle the large sectional. We loved the lounge space, but there were also parts that went unused. The corners were never touched. It was wasted space. I loved the dark color, but I was tired of the cushions. The boys moved them and the pillows all the time. They built forts, which I loved and am actually sad that I took away their fort material, but Mr. JCrew kept saying he wanted a new couch. I kept delaying because I was not sure what I wanted. I like to do lots of research, find something I love and THEN make the change. I had been casually browsing for a while for couches, but never found something I loved. But Mr. JCrew wanted to move forward, so I caved.

 
House #1


House #2
We sold the sectional and lived without living room furniture for two months. The boys loved the extra space! We had sleeping bags out there permanently.



In the couch search, I had to figure out if I wanted another sectional, or take the opportunity to change up the layout completely. I knew I eventually wanted to change the layout, but thought that would be after our kids were grown.


I ended up going with two couches, two recliners and two coffee tables. Mr. JCrew has always wanted a recliner, but I just don’t like the look. The sectional was never accommodating for a recliner, either. 



He was very excited I told him he was not getting just one, but two! Everyone loves Mr. JCrew and he never has anything that is just his. If we got two recliners, he could have his own and we all could have the other. 



I played with the layout a lot. Was the room large enough for two couches? What would the walking paths around the room be? Etc.







I picked out the couches and recliners and then played with coffee table options. I wanted to be different. I saw an idea of having two butted together to make one and loved it.



I found different size options and played with the quantity.








I landed on a table I loved that had two size options. The large size was too small to be by itself, but too large if I had two. The small size was just slightly too small with two, but I was okay with that and moved forward with that choice.

One large coffee table


Two large coffee tables


The new layout works out great. We had it in time for Christmas festivities and with a house full of people it worked great! It felt like there were more places to sit and family kept commenting that the room looked bigger, even with more furniture!



I haven’t styled the coffee tables because I like keeping them open. The boys love to play on them and Mister Pfitzer uses them as racetracks. My maidenhair fern was on there, but Mister Pfitzer used it as a jungle for his toys and the plant got hurt. I had to move it temporarily until he is older and won’t mess with it.



It was the last room to style appropriately. It no longer feels like it doesn't belong with the rest of the rooms. It is currently our favorite.

2 comments:

  1. it is beautiful. i love those navy chairs. amazing job girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! After I picked out the blue leather, I realized my dad had a navy leather recliner when I was growing up. It was the chair he loved.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...