Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Attitude Changer: Quote #14 - Greed-Ambition-Dream



In these related posts, I am sharing quotes from a wonderful book called, “Lead the Field’ by Earl Nightingale.

This is the last quote that I am documenting.

In summary, the book talks about your attitude. It determines your actions, as well as the actions of others. Mr. Nightingale takes our lame excuses for NOT being successful and refutes them all.

Today’s Quote: “Live one day at a time.”

“This is the day that the LORD has made.” A life is nothing more than a lot of days put together. Every day must count. Every day is a single building block with which to build your life. Make every day count. Each day consists of a series of tasks. Plan those tasks. Priorities those tasks. Begin with the first one and keep at it until it is done before going on to the next one. Don’t worry if you can’t accomplish all tasks in one day. Do each day all that can be done that day. Don’t overwork. Don’t rush. Just do what you do to the best of your ability. That is success!

Success will not be attributable to any one day, week or month but rather to the consistent, persistent, succession of single days. Just keep your eye on your goal and continue to grow in competence. Just concentrate on each task and do it as well as you can. One day at a time, one task at a time. One at a time in their proper order.

You have only to succeed today, each day, to guarantee your future. Be steady. Do as well as you can and finish it.

*****

I hope you have enjoyed this series of posts. I know it was not one full of pictures, but I did find it an interesting read.

The main reason I did this series of posts was to motivate Mr. JCrew through his summer semester. He completed the semester with two A's and a B, I think. He did great. I knew the Summer Semester could present its challenges, but it was nothing like expected. Now he is gearing up for the Fall semester, but it will be spread over four months, instead of two.

I kept telling myself before, that I would get myself out from the middle of Mr. JCrew's school. Each time we have an argument, it is school-driven. This is my dream for him, and not his dream. I want him to get his Bachelor's degree and enjoy his work. I want him to reach his potential. What I see is an extremely smart man that has a lot to give and work with. I'd like to see him use that.

But I can't make him pursue my dream for him. I am letting it go for good now. We've set up his next two semesters that we need to have completed, but after that, he can quit. It's not right for me to make him unhappy.

Mr. JCrew really enjoyed this book. I really enjoyed this book, because everything it said was what I believe. I think Mr. JCrew enjoyed this book because it reminded him of me and what I tell him. 

I am a driven person. I set goals and reach for them. Some might view this as bad. Greed has taken over this world, and I don't want my drive to be confused with that term. I recently read a quote about how we should eliminate ambition from our life. WHAT?!?! That was completely absurd to me. 

That may be a fault of mine, but it makes me happy. I am not unsatisfied with my life. I am very grateful for everything that has happened and all who have made my life special. I am blessed with a wonderful husband that makes me happy. I have two wonderful boys that light up my life. I do not need anything more. 

This book could be applied to anyone in their phase of life. It's not just for working people. I do not think it is wrong to have goals, but I need to only make goals for myself and not others. I will need to remember this when my boys get older. I believe it is my job as a parent to guide them, but they will be the leader. I cannot push them to do something, but it is my job, as their parent, to help them be successful to the best of their ability in whatever they choose to do. I am not Mr. JCrew's mom, and I shouldn't have to be. It's hard to turn that off sometimes.

I hope you've enjoyed this series. It was meant for Mr. JCrew, but I thought others might like it, too. 

Quote #11 - Tremendous Potential
Quote #12 - Opportunity
Quote #13 - Use of Language

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover