Monday, August 22, 2011

Top 12 Things I Want My Son to Know - #1

This is day 12 of a 12 part series to highlight the main things I want my son-to-be to know. Some will be silly, some will be serious. I just want to write it down for me and for him- and for your entertainment, of course.

#12, #11, #10, #9, #8, #7, #6, #5, #4, #3, #2
#1  We Love You More Than You Can Imagine
You may not understand this as a child; I don’t think most children do. But as an adult- and especially as a parent- you start to realize that your parents made great sacrifices for you. Most of the time they were happy to make them and probably didn’t consider them sacrifices, but others were made with a conscious effort of love, time and often money.
Your Mimi and Poppy sacrificed so much for me and my brothers and sisters. I am so thankful for the opportunities they gave us to experience the world. I have so many great memories and stories to tell all because my parents loved me more than I could have ever imagined.
Here’s the thing about being a parent: we only want the best for you. We will go to the ends of the earth for you. We do not want to make you a spoiled child or to give you everything you WANT, but we want to give you everything you need and allow you to earn some things you want because we love you more than you will ever know; at least not until you have children of your own. Your dad and I will make those sacrifices- whether or not you realize them- to help you realize your full potential and help you develop into a mature adult.
We want to help you grow, guide you to understand and give you all the love in the world. We were both fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of that love from wonderful parents and ultimately from God. Nothing will make us happier than to share it with you.
So when you “hate” us for not letting you go to a party, know that we still love you. And when you don’t get into the "short-leg club," you can blame us for your genes. And when you do win that state championship, gold medal or award for good grades, know that we would love you even if you didn’t- but we will always be proud of your accomplishments.
We’re here you for, sweet boy. We love you more than you will ever be able to fathom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget
Pin It button on image hover